Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Golfing & Gawking


Today I had the pleasure of playing golf at Bear Mountain with my very good friends (from left to right): June Dorner, Donna Long, me, and Dorothy McIntire. Dorothy and Donna play out of the Wenatchee Golf & Country Club and June plays at Three Lakes like me.

Today was just for fun and none of us had ever played this course before. It is very scenic and one could easily get distrated from golfing and just gawk and the fabulous views of Lake Chelan and the surrounding area from every single hole. June, however, spends all of her spare time grubbing around in the brush looking for lost balls... and there are lots of them on this course. She found about 25 balls today. Me, I'm too scared of snakes, to go wandering off the course!

This course is built on a hillside and every single hole is up, down, or sideways... with lots of scrub brush if you're not able to stay in the fairway. It is very beautiful and I would definitely play there again.

Dorothy and her husband, Bud, moved to Palm Springs a few years ago but they come to Wenatchee during the summer to visit family and friends (and to get away from the awful heat down south). Wenatchee is hot is the summer, but Palm Springs is worse. When we're in Palm Springs durng the winter, Dorothy is very gracious and invites me to play golf with her fairly often. Dorothy & Bud belong to Cathedral Canyon Country Club, which is quite a difficult course with lots of water and sand to deal with.

As for my game today... after the first few holes I thought, perhaps, this would be the one day I would NOT report a score on this blog. The final score wasn't as bad as I expected it might have (or could have) been. The score ( 94), plus one mulligan on the first tee. Can you read that score? I don't know what happened. All of a sudden the type shrank and I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to enlarge it. Oh, now it's back to normal.

The course was, indeed beautiful, but the front nine was the most difficult, with several blind shots. Now that I've played it, should be easier next time. Theoretically speaking, of course!

Well, that's enough babble for now.

Next games: Saturday & Sunday for the Ball Buster Tournament at Three Lakes.

No comments: