Thursday, August 03, 2006

Second Round of Play


Well... today was the second round of match play in the Three Lakes Ladies 18-hole division of the Club Championship.

The group I played with today are (from left to right): Bev Peer, Donna Jones, and Donna Pershall. Donna Jones was my opponent today and she turned out to be a very worthy and spunky opponent. For a 24 handicap, she played better than her average and I (with a 15 handicap) played worse than usual so it made for an interesting match. We played pretty well head to head until the 5th hole when she let me win the next two holes. She came back to win hole #7, leaving me only one hole up. I took hole #8 & #9 to be three up at the turn. I gave back a hole on #10, but we halfed again on #11 with a par each.

Ultimately, I did win the match being 4 up with 2 holes to go. As it turned out, she outscored me on the next two holes... so, overall, she only lost by 2 holes. She was quite proud of herself, and I was proud of her too. Now she will move into the "net" division competition.

My final score today was a 92, which was about 5-7 strokes higher than it should have been. For some reason my slice resurfaced and I spent much of my energy trying to figure out how to deal with it. I never ceased to be amazed at how I can play so well one week (84 last week) and so poorly the next week. Despite a few (very few) excellent shots, my long game was very inconsistent today, but once I got close to the green I was able to do redeem myself in many cases.

Donna Perhall & Bev Peer had a very good match too, with Bev finally winning.

Next game: Next Thursday for Round 3. I will play the winner of the Ruth Toler / Sue Chin match.

No comments: