Sunday, August 13, 2006

Mysterious Ways


I can only be consolled in knowing the Lord works in mysterious ways and he has his reasons.

Today I lost my match in the third round of the Club Championship for the 18-hole ladies division at Three Lakes Golf Course. The good news is I didn't play bad. The bad news is I still lost, even though my opponent, Ruth Toler, and I shot the very same score of 85.

I, a 15 handicap, netted 70 which is a very respectable score. Ruth who, I believe, is a 22 handicap netted a 63 which is unbelieveable.

In match play, however, score is irrelevant. It's all about who wins the most invidivual holes. I should have known how the day was going to go when an omen was sent from above on the first hole. Ruth chipped in for a birdie on the par 5 #1. Hope sprung anew when I got a chip in birdie on #4. It was a back and forth match... but Ruth moves on and I wish her luck.

As I said, the Lord does work in mysterious ways and perhaps he was saving me from myself. Had I won this match I would have had to play in the 36 hole play-off on Thursday. That, in itself is a difficult task... but I will also be playing at Bear Mountain in Chelan on Wednesday. Then, a two day tournament this coming week-end. Perhaps it is best I save myself for fun at Bear Mountain with my very good friends... and the very challenging Ball-Buster tournament at Three lakes this coming week-end.

Seriously, it's no big deal to me. My self esteem isn't tied to winning, but I do love to win! No doubt about that. But, I'd rather be a good loser than a bad winner. I once heard that you have to be used to losing to be a good loser. But, I beg to differ. It just makes winning that much sweeter when it's my turn (again).

I'm actually pleased to be playing as well as I am considering how irregularly I have been playing. Ruth is very nice and certainly deserved to win on this day. I have won the Club Championship before and now, perhaps, it is Ruth's turn. We will know on Thursday afternoon... after the final round.

The picture above is (from left to right): Ruth's Dad (Dale Wyles), Ruth's son (Travis Toler) and Ruth Toler... my cheating (oops I mean worthy) opponent. This is the group I played with today.

No comments: