Thursday, July 27, 2006

First Round - Club Championship


Whew... now I know what the Wicked-Witch-of-the-West must have felt like when she was melting! It was so hot today on the golf course, by the 16th hole I was questioning my ability to keep standing. We were all seeking shade at every opportunity thoughout the day, but we were all pretty well in survial mode by the last three holes. Not sure what the temperature was but it must have been close to 100.

This is the group I played with today... all friends who are regulars with the Three Lakes Ladies 18-hole Division. From left to right: Linda Hinton, Mary Weatherman, Donna Jones, and... yours truly. Good thing this picture was taken on the second hole of the day. Had it been taken after the round, I would have been shorter than Donna.

Today was the first round of this year's (match play) Club Championship. My match today was with Mary. Linda and Donna also played a match. This was the scratch division which was really a bit unfair for Mary because she has a 27 handicap, whereas I have a 15 My handicap is up from an 11 a couple years ago, which is a result of not playing on a regular basis. It is very difficult for a 27 handicapper to play scratch golf against a 15. But, that's the way the brackets work and Mary was a great sport about it all. We are good friends and enjoy playing together under any circumstances. Now, Mary drops down into the "net" division where she will be on a level playing field with whoever she is matched with. Good luck, Mary. I'll be rooting for you!

I won the match 8 & 6. Meaning, I was 8 holes up with 6 to play. I was 7 up with 7 to play, which is "dormy"... meaning Mary would have had to win every hole to go into an extra hole play-off.

I played very respectable 41 on the front nine (before my body started it's melt down). Usually I can score better on the back 9 because it is shorter, but not today. I shot a 43 on the back for a total of 84. Overall, I played well but my drives were not as straight as I would have liked. With a few brain fart exceptions, my iron play and putting was quite good.

All-in-all it was a good day... and now that I've had a cold shower, I'm feeling much better!

Next game: Probably next Thursday for round 2 of the Club Championship. I play Donna Jones (next to me in the photo). Donna won her match with Linda, but it was very close and I think went up to the last hole.

-Carol

No comments: