Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Bingo, Bango, Bongo



Today I played golf with my friends Sherry (on the left) & Janet. The picture in the upper right is Sherry (on the left) and me. I thought it would make a nice picture since we both had about the same color scheme of blue and black.

When you play golf with Sherry, there is always a game involved... usually a game called Bingo, Bango, Bongo. Bingo is for the first ball on the green. Bango for the closest ball to the pin. Bongo for longest one putt. This game goes from hole to hole. The first person with their ball on the green gets a "bean". The person closest to the hole (after hitting on the green from the fairway) gets a "bean". And then the person who makes the longest one putt gets a "bean". If nobody makes a one-putt the "bean" carries over to the next hole, or whenever the next one putt is made. If you three-putt you lose a "bean". The person with the most "beans" at the end of the 18 holes wins. We usually play for a dime per bean.

Bingo, Bango, Bongo is fun because everyone, regardless of skill level, really has an equal chance to get beans. If you're truly serious about the game (and not your final score) there is strategy involved, such as laying up just short of the green to try to get it closest to the pin on the next shot, which gives you a better chance to one putt. We have a lot of fun with it. Today, I was the "bean queen"!

Janet is amazing. I think she's about 70 years old, but she doesn't look it nor does she act it... and I mean that in a good way! She is out playing golf several times a week and sometimes she plays more than one round a day. I first met Janet many, many years ago when I played in the women's fast-pitch softball league in Wenatchee. That was when I was young and single in the early days of living in Wenatchee.

On days like this, and there will be more, I question my decision to log every single golf game this season. Golf, I've decided, is like a good marriage... some times there are things you just need to forget about, let go, move on.... let it breathe.

Again, I putted well with 30 putts total. I drove the ball fairly well but not great. Again, my fairway game was extremely inconsistent. I can't put my finger on the problem other than my timing is off with the irons and fairway woods.

The end result scorewise, though, is close to the last two games. I shot an 87. I should be happy to have broken 90, but I'm just not pleased with the overall game. I'd certainly hate to get desperate enough to go to the driving range. When I go out I prefer to play a real game with my friends. But, practicing wouldn't be so bad if it would give me more confidence for the next game.

Next scheduled game is Thursday. I've got a little twinge in my left arm, so may give it a rest. Will check in later and let you know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our ladies club likes to play bingo bango bongo. Unfortunatley when groups go out they are usually in different numbers. Either 2, 3 or 4. Do you know how to adjust players score so it is fairer for the groups of 4?

Carol said...

I will ask the games committee about this. I suppose you can adjust by percentage somehow.