Thursday, April 13, 2006

Irons Only - Plugged Greens


Today I played with my friends (from left to right) Mary, Claudia and Jan. Mary isn't really as tall as she looks in this picture. She happens to be standing on the upper part of an incline. Likewise, Jan is standing on the lower part and it makes her look shorter than she is. Just thought I should clarify that so you don't think Mary is a giant (or that Jan is a midget). They're all quite normal in size. *Remember, you can click on the picture to enlarge it.

Today's game was to play with irons only (and the putter). This makes some of the holes, especially the par 5's, a bit longer but not that big of a difference for me. I pulled my 4 iron out of the garage and it functioned fairly well, except for one OB on a par 5. I can hit the 4 iron about 180-190. My driver hits between 200-225 (sometimes more, sometimes less). Some of the ladies don't really use their long irons much at all and it's more of a challenge for them. Our longest par 5 is 484 yards and that is very long with irons only. Claudia can really nail a 4-iron too, though!

It was good, though, to concentrate on the iron game because I've been having a lot of trouble with them lately. It's been the worst part of my games so far this season.

The putting was my biggest challenge today. The greens were actually worse than on Tuesday. There were a lot of holes on the green with no sand in them and it made the greens very bumpy and difficult to judge line and speed. I had 36 putts today, which is my worst so far this season. I had one birdie on a 267 yard par 4.

My overall score was 86 for low gross of the field. I wasn't too unhappy with this considering the "iron only" game and my putting troubles. Besides, it's good to get a little higher score once in a while to keep the handicap in check. Don't want it to get too low before any tournaments.

Next Thursday is our first "Team" event. We belong to a group called the Apple Valley Women's Golf Association, which consists of 6 players from each of 8 clubs around the region. Participants include Lakeview (near Ephrata), Chelan, Leavenworth, Three-Lakes (that's us), Wenatchee Golf & Country Club, Ellensburg, Yakima Elks, and Apple Tree (Yakima). The low 6 handicap players from each club get to participate on their team. We play two person team best ball at each of 7 events from April - October. It's a lot of fun and we get to play courses we probably wouldn't otherwise play during the season. Anyway, I'll tell you more about that next week after we play.

Next scheduled game: Tuesday

No comments: