Sunday, April 02, 2006

No Pictures On A Scorecard


Today I played with my friend, Karen Madison. Karen is a financial planner at Piper Jaffray, so if you've got some money you'd like to know how to invest call Karen. Karen is a very good player (with a 5 handicap) but she, like me, was struggling today. We also played with a guy named Bruce and his teenaged son, Eon (or it might be spelled Ion). It's pronounced E-un.

Thankfully, there are no pictures on a scorecard or someone besides me would know how truly ugly my game was today. Despite scoring an 86 (net 73), I didn't feel as though I played as well as Thursday when I scored an 85, a mere one shot better. The ball was consistently pulling to the left, which means I was trying too hard to hit the ball. I was successful on a slow takeaway but as much as I tried I couldn't stop myself from speeding up on the downswing. The ironic thing about golf is the easier you swing, the farther the ball goes. Even knowing this didn't seem to help.

The good news is I did putt well again today. I had 31 putts today, compared to 30 on Thursday. That accounts for the one stroke difference in the score. But, like Thursday, I had one 3-putt which I hate.

I'm still wrestling with whether to order that new set of Ping irons. If I don't do it soon, I'll wait until the end of the season or beginning of next. The way I've been hitting the irons is certainly making a case for going for the new set.

Overall, it was a good day. The weather was on the chilly side, but it wasn't windy so very pleasant for an early spring game with a friend.

If you click on the picture (to enlarge it) you may be able to see the snow on the mountains in the background. It rained considerably here yesterday, with snow in the mountains. As Spring progresses, the pictures I post will give you a better idea of how truly beautiful it is here in the Wenatchee Valley.

Next scheduled game... Tuesday.

No comments: