Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Spring On The Golf Course.



Today's foursome included (from left to right) Chips Hewlett, me, Sherry Perleberg, and Donna Pershall. What a fabulous day it was, until the wind came up the last few holes.

These are the kind of days you stand on the tee box and marvel at the beautiful scenery we enjoy... and thank God for being alive. I'm always fascinated, this time of year, to watch the flowering trees and bushes come alive after winter.

My game today felt pretty good. I was hitting the ball well, but the final score wasn't anything to brag about... a respectable 87, but still two strokes higher than my handicap justifies. There weren't any glaring problems in my game. My greatest accomplishment today was a par on #12 which is a very difficult par 4, not because of length but because of the slope of the fairway and green. It is very difficult to hold the second shot on the green, but I managed that today and 2-putted for par. I almost made the birdie putt. Also, I parred the very difficult #4 hole.

I think my putting will come back around after the greens heal from the plugging and sading. I had 34 putts today... 2 putts better than last Thursday but not as good as before the greens were plugged and sanded.

For the most part I drove the ball well today, with the exception of one slice into a lateral hazard that cost me a stroke on the par 5 #13. My iron game has definitely improved from earlier in the season.

Overall, I've been pretty consistent with my scores so far this season: 85, 86, 86, 87. There was also one 80 thrown in there but that was when we played the back 9 twice and the back nine is shorter and easier than the front nine. I usually shoot 2-5 shots better on the back.

Next scheduled game is our first Team event at the Yakima Elks course on Thursday. The "team" events are once a month from April through October. Eight different clubs from around the region each bring their top 6 players. It's a 2-person team best ball format, with each club fielding 3 2-person teams.

Stay tuned for the next report...

No comments: